I finally have some dates set for my self-funded book tour! Up until now it has felt like trying to prop up an entire house all in one go. Where do I go and when? What order? Do I try to book speaking gigs first, or set my dates and then reach out? The analysis paralysis could drive a person crazy!
My plan is to go to at least 10 cities, coordinated wherever possible with existing conferences and travel. It’s on me to pay for and plan the book tour because the publisher doesn’t think it is the best use of their time and money. I am actually totally okay with that – I would also rather they spend their marketing budget for the book on getting it on the front tables at Barnes & Noble and on reaching out to national media (Universe – put in a word with me for The Today Show, mmmmkay?!). I just can’t imagine launching this book without connecting with readers and friends in real life. It’s a must-do! More details to follow soon on a virtual blog tour, including how you can get involved if you’re interested.
In other exciting news, Google has graciously granted me a three-month sabbatical. I asked for some time off so that I can properly promote the book and give it my full attention — it is incredibly important to me to focus on the launch with 100% of my time and energy. I’ve been at Google for five years (last week was actually my five year anniversary!) and as much as I will miss my co-workers and the free food, I’m looking forward to taking some time off.
On that note, please fill out this form and let me know if you would be interested in hosting and/or attending a meet-up!
Here are the cities I’m tentatively scheduled to be in:
- Austin, Texas – SXSW Interactive – March 11-March 16
- San Francisco Bay Area – Local Events – March 17-April 18
- Book launch party! April 2
- East Coast (NYC, Boston, Maine) – April 19 – May 17
- Las Vegas, NV – Bloggers in Sin City – Thursday, May 19 – Sunday, May 22
- Seattle, Washington – May 29 – Thursday, June 2
- Portland, Oregon – World Domination Summit – Friday, June 3 – Tuesday, June 7
- Los Angeles – Wednesday, June 8 – June 15 (tentative)
- New York City, NY – June 16-20
- London, UK – early October
Let’s hang out!
Fill out the form and I’ll be sure to keep you in the loop if/when I get to your side of town 🙂 If your city isn’t on the list, please fill out the form anyway! I’m still cooking up ways to get more places…and it will be super helpful to know where you are!